Oil Insurance Claim Specialists | Heating Oil Leak in House
Many Irish homes and properties are supplied by domestic heating oil tanks that are usually situated in back garden areas. The fuel within these tanks is normally oil or kerosene.
Oil Spills or Oil Leaks from domestic tanks usually come from either the tank itself, the fittings/valves or the supply line into the property. These home oil tank leaks can occur gradually over time or be sudden and catastrophic.
The impact of these oil leaks can vary depending on where they occur and the surroundings.
For example a slope on your site or property can contribute to the migration of the oil leak, (for which you can be held liable). This is possible because oil leaks will move with water and find the lowest point on the ground.
Left untreated, oil, diesel or kerosene can have long terms effects on concrete foundations, floors or walls of a property. The fumes that are given off can penetrate carpets and soft furnishings, which may not be possible to salvage.
When the leaked fuel impacts on building structures and buried services (such as water supply pipes) there can be a significant impact on residents that may require them to be moved out of their property when the oil clean up is undertaken.
Where the leaking oil may impact controlled waters (streams or underground water), action must be immediately taken to prevent the spread of the contamination.
In the event of a heating oil spill, the following action is recommended (if safe to do so):
1) Try and identify the source of the leak and stop the flow if possible.
2) Where spilled oil is on the ground, try to absorb it and prevent the spread of the oil to nearby buildings or watercourses.
3) Identify whether any leaked oil has migrated from your property to a third party property.
4) Before going ahead with any clean up/remedial work of oil spills on your property you should contact us at Claims Assist Ireland. We will advise you of the necessary steps to mitigate your loss and damage of the oil spill, we will contact your insurance company to report your claim immediately and confirm if cover is in place in your insurance policy.
5) It is worth noting that insurers will not always pay out for domestic heating oil spills, home heating oil spill clean up or oil leak in house.
An example of some home insurance policy exclusions are;
- Wear and Tear
- Gradually operating cause
- Faulty workmanship or design
- Faulty materials
- Damage caused on purpose by a member of your family or household
Additionally, spills affecting only garden areas and not buildings or third party land may also not be covered.
Any works on the domestic oil heating system (tank, lines and boiler) should only be carried out by an appropriately qualified technician.
We at Claims Assist Ireland are expert oil spill insurance claim assessors and we will ensure that all damaged contents and buildings are claimed for and fully paid out on, under the terms of your home insurance policy. If and when necessary we will also ensure that alternative accommodation is provided by insurers while remedial works are being carried out to your home.
Claims Assist Ireland have Insurance Loss Assessors in Dublin, Galway, Kildare, Waterford, Cork and Limerick who can provide oil spill help and advice on home heating oil spill clean up. So remember if you need oil spill or oil leak insurance claim settlement help, call us now for free expert advice 1890 929 555