It’s Carbon Monoxide Safety Week.
Carbon Monoxide is highly dangerous. You can’t see it or smell it. In fact it is often called “the silent killer”. You can protect your home from the dangers of this deadly gas by taking preventive measures and by learning to recognise the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and watching out for Carbon Monoxide Signs.
Give the website www.carbonmonoxide.ie 10 minutes today for good advice about keeping your home safe from carbon monoxide gas. Remember, you can’t see carbon monoxide, so make sure you see the advice.
Where does Carbon Monoxide come from?
Carbon monoxide can be released by any fuel when it is burned, including coal,
turf, oil, gas and wood. Harmful levels can be produced by:
• Any badly installed, faulty, damaged or blocked heating appliance, chimney or
flue, such as:
• Open fireplaces (coal, turf, wood, briquettes)
• Gas or LPG boilers, heaters, fires etc.
• Oil-fired boilers
• Solid fuel stoves
• Blocked or insufficient ventilation in rooms where a fuel burning appliance is in use
• Barbecues produce carbon monoxide when in use, but can also release
carbon monoxide after they appear to be extinguished
• Petrol-driven machinery
• Never run a car, lawnmower, generator or other engine-powered equipment
in any confined, enclosed or poorly ventilated spaces
• Ensure exhaust fumes are not drawn in through open doors, windows or vents
• Improper use of fuel-burning appliances, such as:
• Using a cooker to heat a room
• Using a gas grill with the door closed
• Bringing a barbecue indoors or under cover such as into a tent or awning
• Burning rubbish in an open fireplace or stove that could block the chimney
Carbon monoxide can also be produced by the natural oxidation of wood
and biomass pellets such as those used for wood pellet heating systems,
even without burning.